Skip to content

Raising Children

March 10, 2016

Ask the child,  not the grandparent.

Granted, a one day old cannot answer,  try though and ask yourself, as if you are the child being “raised”.

Of course, from that perspective,  that twist, makes one realize how infinitely “responsible” you have to be in your actions and words.

EG.  Would you want to be hit or be yelled at to be disciplined?

Louis C.K. from his “bit” other people’s kids from the CD “Hilarious”

“Stop hitting me, you’re HUUUUGE, How could you hit me? That’s Crazy. You’re a Giant,  and I can’t defend myself. I really think it is crazy that we hit our kids. Here’s the crazy part about it. Kids are the only people in the world you are allowed to hit. Do you realize that?

They’re the most vulnerable and they are the most destroyed by being hit. But it’s “totally” Ok to hit them, and they’re the only ones!  If you hit a dog, they fuckin’ will put you in jail for that shit.

You can’t hit a person unless you can prove that they were trying to kill you. But a little tiny person with a head this big, who trusts you implicitly, Fuck ’em, who gives a shit, let’s all hit them.  People want you to hit your kid. //

We’re proud of it. // Your damn right I hit my kids!

Why do you hit them?  Cause they were doing a thing I didn’t like at the moment, and so I hit them,  and guess what??  They didn’t do it after that.

Well, that wouldn’t be taking the easy way out now would it?  How about talking to ’em for a second, //”

Being a parent means you have your back up against the wall, all the time. Because its the only job you can’t quit. It’s the only job where you can just put your wrench down, and say “fuck it, guys, I’m leaving.  I don’t even want my last check, I’m going home.

GeorgeCarlin from his “bit” kids are too small.

“We’ve got a kid, ” “say, looks like the one we had.”  Whatcha gonna do with him?  “Gonna raise him.”  “Well, don’t plant him too deep.”

Asking the grandparent,  only gets you the advice of coming up with the same outcome that got you in the state you are in.

If you were lucky great, then go ahead and inquire about raising children from both sides, lean towards the newcomer though.

(I’m only guessing,  I have no clue.)

Because the wisdom in that little being will probably teach you more about yourself than you cared to know. Is going to be a lot more loving and judgment free, then from the elder end.

Unfortunately,  that is what most parents do is raise children.

(Geez,  that raises a whole other tangent, I better save for another post, or this could go very long.)

(Ok, quick note. I see it at work, way to often, where allegedly “grown” adults go to their supervisors “daddy” to “fix” a “situation” they can’t handle, and if that doesn’t work,  call “HR” “mommy”  to “tell” on “daddy”.)

Raising adults would be a much better plan.

Just don’t start “raising” them as “adults” to soon though,  let them be “kids” first, creative,  loving,  divine beings that they are.

Somewhere in between, must lie the balance. 5FM

All this from someone who never had any biological mini versions of himself.

Guess one reason is that came about from being raised, as an “adult”. To be so responsible,  so early,  childlike thoughts exited my head.

Which puts me in the odd situation at nearly 50 to re-parent myself to be more childlike, divine and creative.

Thats probably what this blog is for. Utilizing the Richard Bach notion; “we teach best what we need to learn most ourselves. “

Not sure if the following lyrics will have as much impact as listening to the “live” version of this,  but here goes.

Flowers Are Red

By Harry Chapin

The little boy went first day of school
He got some crayons and started to draw
He put colors all over the paper
For colors was what he saw
And the teacher said.. What you doin’ young man
I’m paintin’ flowers he said
She said,
It’s not the time for art young man
And anyway flowers are green and red
There’s a time for everything young man
And a way it should be done
You’ve got to show concern for everyone else
For you’re not the only one

And she said
Flowers are red young man
Green leaves are green
There’s no need to see flowers any other way
Than the way they always have been seen

But the little boy said
There are so many colors in the rainbow
So many colors in the morning sun
So many colors in the flower and I see every one

Well the teacher said
You’re sassy
There’s ways that things should be
And you’ll paint flowers the way they are
So repeat after me

And she said
Flowers are red young man
Green leaves are green
There’s no need to see flowers any other way
Than the way they always have been seen

But the little boy said
There are so many colors in the rainbow
So many colors in the morning sun
So many colors in the flower and I see every one

The teacher put him in a corner
She said
It’s for your own good
And you won’t come out ’til you get it right
And all responding like you should
Well finally he got lonely
Frightened thoughts filled his head
And he went up to the teacher
And this is what he said, and he said

Flowers are red, green leaves are green
There’s no need to see flowers any other way
Than the way they always have been seen

Time went by like it always does
And they moved to another town
And the little boy went to another school
And this is what he found
The teacher there was smilin’
She said
Painting should be fun
And there are so many colors in a flower
So let’s use every one

But that little boy painted flowers
In neat rows of green and red
And when the teacher asked him why
This is what he said
And he said

Flowers are red, green leaves are green
There’s no need to see flowers any other way
Than the way they always have been seen.

Songwriters: HARRY F. CHAPIN

On the “Live” version,  Harry kicks in with tear jerker;

But,  there must still be a way to get our children to say;

“There are so many colors in the rainbow
So many colors in the morning sun
So many colors in the flower and I see every one”

George Carlin: Now, speaking of parents and speaking of bullshit, two ideas that aren’t always mutually exclusive, by the way, I’d like to mention a special kind of bullshit that has taken hold in this country in the last thirty to forty years. It’s a form of bullshit that really can only be called “child worship”. It’s child worship. It’s this excessive devotion to children.

I’m talking about today’s professional parents, these obsessive diaper sniffers who are overscheduling and overmanaging their children and robbing them of their childhoods.

Even the simple act of playing has been taken away from children, and put on mommy’s schedule in the form of “play dates”. Something that should be spontaneous and free is now being rigidly planned. When does a kid ever get to sit in the yard with a stick anymore?

Children are our future,  a meme, that abdicates responsibility.

Advertisements

From → humor, kids, Quotes, random

One Comment
  1. I related to Richard Bach’s ‘Illusions’ when I was in my twenties, at a precarious time when it seemed you could either grow up get a job a mortgage and all that other shit people my age were doing, or keep a semblance of your childlike ways. Maybe some people figured out how to balance the selves within the self, but for me I remember it being such a tormenting time. I didn’t see compromise.

Liked by 1 person